|Died||October 11, 2013 (Determinant)|
|Cause of Death||Killed by the storm (Determinant)
Fell to her death (Determinant)
|Hair color||Bright purple (dyed)|
|Friends||Kate Marsh, Stella Hill, Max Caulfield (determinant)|
|Appearance(s)||"Episode 1: Chrysalis" |
"Episode 2: Out of Time"
"Episode 3: Chaos Theory"
"Episode 4: Dark Room"
"Episode 5: Polarized"
|Voice actor||Dayeanne Hutton (ENG)
Hana Takeda (JAP)
Alyssa Anderson is a student at Blackwell Academy. Max Caulfield feels like she and Alyssa should be better friends. In every episode, Alyssa can be saved by Max from unfortunate incidents caused by other people.
Alyssa is quiet and mostly tends to keep to herself. However, she will stand up for her friends, such as Kate Marsh, when others talk about them behind their backs. She isn't blinded by prejudice and is against bullying. Therefore, she hates the Vortex Club.
Alyssa may be religious as she is always wearing a necklace with a cross pendant.
Alyssa takes Mr. Jefferson's art classes and is in the class photo he took during the first week. She is always texting, but she doesn't hang out with a lot of people and is never really seen interacting with others.
Judging from her hair and gloomy clothing style, she could easily be considered "scene."
Alyssa is made fun of by several students at Blackwell Academy, particularly the Bigfoots and the Vortex Club. She spends a lot of her free time reading, contemplating life, and walking around Arcadia Bay. She has an affection for literature and science fiction.
Episode One - "Chrysalis" Edit
Alyssa is first seen in Mr. Jefferson's class when Max wakes up from her vision. She is silent throughout the entire lesson. When the lesson finishes, Jefferson tells her and Stella Hill to "get it together" and encourages them to turn in a photo for the Everyday Heroes contest.
Moments later, Alyssa can be spotted texting in the hallway of Blackwell Academy. Max comments that Alyssa is always texting and doesn't seem to hang out with real people. As Max makes her way to the girls bathroom to save the blue-haired girl from being shot by Nathan Prescott, she can look at Alyssa in the corridor again, although she doesn't regard her as someone who can help.
When Max is tasked with going to the dormitories to retrieve Warren Graham's flash drive, she can speak to Alyssa, who is reading a book outside. Max can ask her how she is or what she's reading. If asked the first question, Alyssa replies that she is "fantastic" and that soon she will be bonding with Victoria and the Vortex Club. If asked about the book, Alyssa says that it is a chick-lit book called Love Today or Die Forever, and she immediately asks Max to not say anything. Max is not judgmental, knowing the book is a bestseller. Either way, Alyssa excuses herself to continue reading.
When Max returns to the same spot after retrieving Warren's flash drive, Alyssa is still reading, and Zachary Riggins is standing nearby looking down at his phone. Zachary reads an SMS from Juliet that accuses him of sexting Victoria, and he throws the football away in frustration. The ball hits Alyssa in the head, and she starts crying. Max has the option to rewind time and tell Alyssa to move away, in which case the ball will hit a window of the dormitory, smashing it, and Max will be pleased that she was able to help somebody out in a small way with her power. If Max decides to talk to Alyssa afterwards, she will thank Max for the warning. Max may compliment Alyssa's quick reflexes or talk about the Vortex Club again. In the end, Alyssa will call Max smart and say that they should hang out more, before returning to her reading.
Episode Two - "Out of Time" Edit
After waking up and exiting her room, Max encounters Alyssa in the hallway of the dormitories reading notices on a noticeboard. Moments later, a student opens the door of the girls' bathroom from inside and throws a toilet paper roll at Alyssa. If Max tries to talk to Alyssa, she will call the person with the toilet paper an "immature asshole" and will say that she's not feeling social at the moment. Max has the option to rewind time and warn her about the incoming threat, letting the toilet paper hit the wall and roll down the hallway instead. Alyssa will then be more eager to talk to Max.
If Max helped Alyssa in the previous episode, Alyssa will say that now Max has saved her from a "projectile weapon" twice already and will question Max being her guardian angel. Max says that it is simply her sixth sense in action and that she's glad she could help.
If this is the first time Max has helped Alyssa, she will simply compliment Max's quick thinking. Max says that she's glad for being able to help.
Alyssa mentions that Warren told her about having lent Max his flash drive and asks Max about her favorite sci-fi film. Max may name one of the following three: Looper, Back to the Future and Groundhog Day. Alyssa will make a short comment about the chosen film and warns Max to be careful not to make Brooke Scott jealous. She then continues examining the noticeboard. If Max tries to talk to her again, Alyssa will say that they should talk later and wishes Max good luck with Warren.
Later in the episode, Alyssa is standing near the window of the Photography Lab and will brush off Max's attempts to talk to her. Max has the opportunity to take an optional photo of Alyssa from behind. Shortly after the beginning of Mr. Jefferson's class, Alyssa comments on Kate not feeling well when Jefferson questions if anybody has seen her that day.
During the lesson, Zachary will burst into the classroom to exclaim that "crazy shit" is happening at the girls' dormitory, prompting everyone in the class to rush there. Alyssa can be seen among the crowd watching Kate's suicide attempt, with her face laid on Warren's shoulder. If Max hesitates in going forward to rescue Kate, Alyssa can be heard telling Brooke that she cannot believe the situation.
Episode Three - "Chaos Theory" Edit
After Kate's death, Alyssa will leave a message on Kate's social media page. She will write the message, "I'll remember your smile".
After Kate is warded in hospital, Alyssa will leave a message on Kate's social media page. She will write the message, "We're all behind you".
If Mr. Jefferson is suspended from the Everyday Heroes contest as a result of his possible involvement in Kate's suicide attempt, a social media page is set up by his students in support of him. Alyssa leaves a comment on this page to say, "I boycott class until Mr Jefferson comes back".
When Max leaves the Two Whales Diner, she spots Alyssa walking down the sidewalk ahead of her to wait at the bus stop. Suddenly, a car drives through a puddle on the road, splashing dirty water on Alyssa. Max can choose to rewind time to warn Alyssa so that she can move out of the way. When Alyssa steps back, the car drives through the puddle again, this time splashing dirty water on the sidewalk instead.
If Max had warned Alyssa from the football and toilet roll throw earlier, Alyssa will note that this was the third time Max had saved her. When Alyssa asks if Max was her guardian angel, Max doesn't think she's done anything special to merit Alyssa's praises.
Alyssa will appreciate that Max was the only person who tried to talk Kate down, while others took camera pics. Alyssa will also call Max a hero in spite of her failure. Then she'll suggest that she and Max should hang out more and drink some wine.
Alyssa will call Max a hero for saving Kate. Max will respond with relief that Kate came down from the roof with her, telling Alyssa that Kate is a good person and her friend. Max will also say that Kate was almost bullied to death by a video. Alyssa replies that what happened to kate is "fucked up" and tells Max she is an amazing friend. Alyssa will suggest that they form a posse to visit the hospital as soon as Kate can receive visitors.
If Max is suspended, she will tell Alyssa that she doesn't feel like a hero "thanks to David Madsen and the Prescotts...". Seeing the unfairness in Max's suspension, Alyssa suggests a petition in the hope that Blackwell Academy will rectify the situation, but Max tells Alyssa not to worry, because now she has an excuse to take lots of photos that week. Alyssa will suggest to Max that maybe they should take a picture to Kate as a gift when they visit Kate in hospital.
Episode Four - "Dark Room"Edit
Alyssa attends the Vortex Club's End of the World Party and will be standing next to the edge of the pool while two boys play with a pool noodle very close to her. She is accidentally knocked into the pool by one of the boys. The boys laugh at Alyssa who is clearly upset and asks the boys to give her a break as she climbs out of the pool. If Max tries to talk to Alyssa, Alyssa will express frustration at Max for not being able to warn her this time. Max can rewind to warn her about the incoming pool noodle. If Max has now saved Alyssa 4 times, it will become an extra dialogue choice when speaking to her.
Alyssa will step out of the way to safely dodge the incoming pool noodle which falls into the pool instead. Alyssa will thank Max for warning her. However, she will wish Max had been there for her earlier that week.
Inspired by Max's previous warnings, Alyssa will assure Max that she's on the case and step out of the way. Alyssa safely dodges the incoming pool noodle which falls into the pool instead. Relieved that Max was able to warn her again, Alyssa will conclude that Max is her angel who has "stepped up every single time to protect [her] from the cruel world" and will call her "Mystic Max". She will also recite "the only poem she can quote" by Robert Frost and state the wish that everybody at Blackwell should care for one another as Max does.
Max may choose to talk to Alyssa after warning her successfully.
Max will ask Alyssa if she has seen Nathan Prescott at the party. Alyssa is unsure but says he could be in the VIP section. Before leaving, Max will tell Alyssa to look out for herself. Alyssa will jokingly ask why this is necessary when she has Max at her side.
Max will mention to Alyssa that the End of the World party is her first and only Vortex Club attendance. Alyssa explains that she only attended because she "just wanted to be around a bunch of people trying to have a good time" even if she hates most of them." Max will remark that Victoria doesn't hassle Alyssa like she does with her and Kate. Alyssa responds that Victoria must know that she would punch her in the face, and Alyssa thinks she probably should "just for Vortex Club posterity".
If Kate is dead, Max will mention that she's surprised to see people have turned up to party despite Kate having jumped off a building in front of them. Alyssa will tell Max that she only came because Warren was attending and she needed something else to vent about. She also says the party is such a tribute to Kate's spirit. Max responds that Kate deserves revenge.
Alyssa will thank Max for helping once again and is reminded of a poem by Robert Frost. Max will ask about the poem, and Alyssa warns her that this will be "like poet karaoke" before she recites The Road Not Taken. Max will thank Alyssa for the poem and tells her that it was what she needed to hear. Alyssa will thank Max for not cringing and says that Blackwell would be so much cooler if there were more considerate people like Max, whom she considers to be "a great start".
Episode Five - "Polarized"Edit
While Max is making her way to the Two Whales Diner, she will see Alyssa stuck in a 2nd floor apartment. Alyssa will beg Max to help her. If there has been at least one occasion where Max hasn't warned Alyssa, she will frightfully tell Max that bad things always happen to her when she's around before walking backwards into a hole and falling to her death. Max can opt to rewind time to use a plank as a makeshift bridge to guide Alyssa to safety. Upon being rescued, Alyssa will thank Max and will suggest that they escape the storm together, but Max replies that she needs to find other people. If Max saved Alyssa in every episode, a sign will fall onto Max and Alyssa will push her out of the way before she gets hit, believing that it makes the two even.
In the alternative timeline, a text conversation can be read between Alyssa and Max in which Alyssa expresses her disappointment with Max hanging out with the Vortex Club, claiming she thought Max was better than that. Max will then tell her that she saw Alyssa throw a roll of toilet paper at her. Alyssa will claim that she wasn't aiming for Max, only for Max to sternly tell her not to do it again.
- Maxine Caulfield (Determinant) - Alyssa seems to have a growing friendship with Max, especially if Max decides to save her from the ills that befall her in each episode. Ultimately, Max feels like they should become better friends due to their common interests of photography and keeping to themselves. They also share an affection for literature and science fiction. Alyssa also supports Max's relationship with Warren.
- Kate Marsh - They used to hang around a lot, as a photo of both in Kate's room indicates. After the Vortex Club incident, Alyssa doesn't seem to be around her anymore. However, Alyssa still defends Kate when the Vortex Club mocks her after not showing up to class. She considers Kate a good person and friend of hers, and her suicide (attempt) she longs for revenge for Kate. If Kate survived, she also plans to visit her in the hospital once she is allowed visitors.
- Warren Graham - Warren and Alyssa share an affection for science fiction and seem to be talking a lot about films, but also about Max (for example he told her that Max borrowed his flash-drive and that she also likes science fiction). Since they regulary spend some time together she's become the target of Brooke's jealousy. Warren also comforts Alyssa when Kate is about to jump from the dormitory roof. One of the main reasons Alyssa attends the Vortex Club Party is that Warren also planned to come. A scribble on a table in the science lab which reads "Warren+Alyssa 2013" indicates that she is, or has been, interested in Warren. However, she also supports Warren's relationship with Max.
- Stella Hill - Alyssa can be seen smiling with Stella and Kate in a photo Max can find in Kate's Room.
- Victoria Chase - Alyssa clearly dislikes the Vortex Club and especially Victoria.
- Maxine Caulfield (Determinant) - If Max doesn't help Alyssa with the wrongdoings that befall her, she will say that Max is bad luck because bad things happen when she's around.
Spirit Animal and SymbolismEdit
Colour Symbolism Edit
The colour that Alyssa is the most associated with is purple/violet. Because the purple color is created by combining a strong warm with a strong cool color, the color retains both warm and cool properties. On one hand, the color purple can boost imagination and creativity; on the other hand, too much purple can cause moodiness instead. Light purples are light-hearted, floral, and romantic; the dark shades are more intellectual and dignified. Dark purple hues also evoke feelings of gloom, sadness, and frustration. In general, positive meanings of purple/violet include faith, magic, mysticism, unconscious, creativity and contemplative; negative ones even death and mourning. In some Native American tribes, purple represents wisdom, healing or gratitude. With a sense of mystic and royal qualities, purple is a color often well-liked by very creative or eccentric types.
Spirit Animal Edit
The only animal that seems to be connected with Alyssa is the cockroach (as she's wearing a t-shirt displaying one on the Vortex Club party in "Dark Room").
Cockroaches are from the beetle family within the insect kingdom. All beetles carry metamorphosis energy, and for this reason the cockroach showing up in your life can indicate a change will soon occur. Cockroaches prefer to keep to the dark and will scurry from the light. For this reason, cockroaches surfacing can be indicators of the desire to pull back from society and keep under the radar of others. If you spend a lot of time socializing, the cockroach could be telling you to spend more time alone. On the flip side, it could also signify that you are isolating yourself too much. From what we know about Alyssa, being a more gloomy and anti-social character, the cockroach fits her personality well.
The Cockroach is also said to be impossible to kill and can endure anything including a nuclear fallout. This fits well with Alyssa's never ending string of bad luck, simply carrying on even after everything that happens to her. Though, much like how the real cockroach isn't invincible, the final episode potentially shows Alyssa eventually being killed by something.
- From the beginning, it was speculated that if Max always helped Alyssa from random attacks, then something worse would happen to her; that she might die at the last episode. Others believed that the opposite would happen to her, and that she would do something to help Max. Both theories have been proven to be partially true, based on Alyssa's determinant death and Alyssa saving Max from a collapsing rubble in episode five which depends on Max's choice to help Alyssa in every episode.
- It is considered possible that Alyssa doesn't exist and that she's only in Max's mind since she has no own room and is never seen interacting. However, Alyssa is seen in Mr. Jefferson's class photo and Mr. Jefferson calls her by name in the first episode. In the second episode, Max may take an optional photo of her and she appears in the photo normally unlike Max's spirit deer in another optional photo taken earlier. She is also seen in photos with Kate Marsh, taking away credibility from this theory. A deleted scene from Episode 2 also indicates that Kate does know who she is, and that she thinks that she has been sweet to her since the video was released.
- There's also a theory claiming that Alyssa could know about Max's rewinding power, as in Episode 4, after saving her four times, she states, "You always choose to help me.", which implies that Max actually had a choice of helping or not helping her.
- In "Dark Room", there is a writing on the Prescott Dormitory's wall saying, "ALYSSA Y U PLAY HARD TO GET WHEN U ALREADY HARD TO WANT".
- In the science lab, near where Brooke is standing, is the graffiti "Warren + Alyssa 2013" encompassed by a heart. This graffiti suggests that Warren and Alyssa may have been in a relationship, or that Alyssa is perhaps interested in Warren.
- ↑ "I shall be telling this with a sigh. / Somewhere ages and ages hence: / Two roads diverged in a wood, and I... / took the one less traveled by. / And that has made all the difference."
- ↑ http://www.bourncreative.com/meaning-of-the-color-purple/
- ↑ http://color-wheel-artist.com/meanings-of-violet.html
- ↑ http://www.sensationalcolor.com/color-meaning/color-meaning-symbolism-psychology/all-about-the-color-purple-4329#.ViFSCPntlBd
- ↑ http://healing.about.com/od/animaltotems/ig/InsectsArachnids/Cockroaches.htm