"My powers might not last, Chloe." - "That's okay. We will. Forever."
|Nickname(s)||Bulldog (by Frank Bowers)|
Professor Price (by Max)
Miss I Hate Math (by Max)
Chloe the Keymaster (by Max)
Eagle-Eye Chloe (by Max)
|Age||16 (Before the Storm)|
19 (Life is Strange)
|Born||March 11, 1994|
|Died||October 11, 2013 (pre-rewind)
October 7, 2013 (determinant)
|Cause of Death||Shot in the stomach by Nathan Prescott (determinant)
Overdosed by Max Caulfield
|Hair color||Blue (dyed), Strawberry Blonde (natural hair color)|
|Love interest(s)||Rachel Amber (deceased), Max Caulfield|
|Relatives||Joyce Price (mother), |
William Price (father, deceased),
David Madsen (stepfather)
Justin Williams, Trevor,
Frank Bowers (determinant),
Rachel Amber (deceased)
|Affiliation||Blackwell Academy (former)|
|Appearance(s)||Life is Strange:|
"Episode 1: Chrysalis"
"Episode 2: Out of Time"
"Episode 3: Chaos Theory"
"Episode 4: Dark Room"
"Episode 5: Polarized"
Before the Storm:
|Voice actor||Ashly Burch (Life is Strange)|
Rhianna DeVries (Before the Storm)
Lynn (Japanese Release)
Chloe Elizabeth Price (born March 11, 1994) is the deuteragonist in Life is Strange. She was Max's best friend before she moved to Seattle, leaving Chloe in their hometown of Arcadia Bay, Oregon. They rekindle their friendship during the events of the game. After Max left, Chloe became best friends with Rachel Amber before she went missing. She is the daughter of William and Joyce Price, and the step-daughter of David Madsen.
She becomes the playable protagonist in Before the Storm, the prequel to the events of Life is Strange.
Chloe is a stubborn, mischievous and rebellious young woman. She is the archetypal punk-rocker, expressed in both her music taste and style. She loves to get high, drink beer, and can be described as bold and outgoing. She has a big mouth often making snarky comments, acts fearless and loves to take risks, which often gets her in trouble. She can be prone to angry outbursts, and has serious issues with abandonment and trust after her father's death, Max's move to Seattle, and the disappearance of Rachel Amber. Due to all her bad experience over the years, she has become pessimistic and resentful of life, convinced that there wasn't really anyone who actually cared about her or who she could trust in[note 1]. She sometimes is very insensitive to other people's feelings, and may act selfish and possessive, always wanting her loved ones' attention for herself and getting jealous and resentful if they don't spare their time for her or don't act her way. She can also be very irrational and irresponsible, which often takes the form of blaming others for situations out of their control and avoiding any responsibility of damage caused by herself (i.e, when she says to Max that if she doesn't blame someone else, it's her fault), which even takes the extent of blaming her dead father for her misery; but she will in some instances eventually acknowledge when she was in the wrong and apologize. Nonetheless, Max is aware of Chloe's flaws but still cherishes her highly and considers her a "good friend who shows up when you need her". Chloe also is a very protective, devoted and faithful companion, though she tends to get too attached and obsessive. She is pretty straightforward with her (romantic) feelings for other people, and also very flirtatious and teasing. Despite her rough outward appearance, Chloe is actually a very insecure and scared person, and her tough acting may be nothing more than a facade she built up to protect herself from further harm.
Chloe very likely has to deal with depression[note 2] caused by her experience of loss and abandonment, and it's implied that she suffers from insomnia and even had suicidal thoughts prior to Max's return. It's possible that her line "Rachel saved my life" literally refers to her preventing Chloe from committing suicide.
She appears to show symptoms of a condition called Borderline Personality Disorder, as characterized by her trust and abandonment issues. During a conversation with Max in "Chaos Theory", Chloe is shown having a meltdown and expressing typical fears of someone who has BPD.
Chloe often drinks alcohol and smokes. She has had problems with drug addiction in the past, evident from her step-father's comment about weed being a big deal for her, as well as her large debt with the drug dealer Frank Bowers. Although Chloe was smart enough for Blackwell, which is evident from Alternative Chloe's school report, she abandoned her studies. All these self-destructive character traits of Chloe, including her rebellion against authorities and her family, her drug abuse, her "boy toy phase" and the loss of control about her own life, which becomes apparent in her chaotic lifestyle and her lack of scholastic and occupational ambition as well as her refusal of responsibility, can be linked to her depression representing Chloe's way to deal with her desperation, to fill her inner void and to ease her pain. Also, her lack of sensitivity can be tied to her experience of loss and abandonment and her consequent depression.
During her time with Max, Chloe's personality seems to grow a lot, since she finds new strength in Max's support and the resurgence of their friendship. Although Chloe may not seem like that on the outside as it is hard for her to show those traits, as their story proceeds, she appears able to show a more caring and brave side to her. At the end of the game, Chloe admits her selfishness towards her family over all the years, and even offers to sacrifice herself to save the town from destruction.
Chloe has a punk aesthetic, she wears pale blue ripped jeans with braces/suspenders, black boots and a white shirt with either a skull or heart on it. She's always seen wearing her necklace, which is a chain with three bullets. Sometimes she wears a black leather jacket, and a dark blue beanie.
She has a tattoo sleeve on her right arm, an intricate design featuring flowers, butterflies, and a yellowed skull. Her dyed hair is light purple at the roots and blue at the ends.
Chloe's pajamas consist of light blue boxers and a navy T-shirt that says rock and has a chick on it.
Young Chloe wears pale blue jeans and a grey sweat shirt with the Arcadia Bay lighthouse on it. She wears her hair long and straight, in its natural strawberry-blonde shade.
In the prequel, she has dark blonde hair like in her Alternative Timeline appearance and wears t-shirts.
Max's Diary entry about Chloe is as follows:
"Then there's Chloe Price. What do you say to your best friend after five years of silence? After finding out you saved her life in a bathroom? NOTHING. I feel so lame for not staying in touch... or even text. I have no idea how to process seeing Chloe like this again. For one thing, she looks so similar but so different... She's all grown up now, but it doesn't seem like she's only one year older than me.
I absolutely love her blue hair and punk clothes. It makes sense she would become a rebel. She still kinda looks like a pirate. Except one who stage dives. I know she's angry with me because of her body language. I'm glad I can still see the old Chloe in there. Or is that the young Chloe? I'm sure she's still messed up about her dad dying. I would be too. That was a terrible time for Chloe and Joyce.
I feel bad because I wonder if I was happy to move away just to avoid the grief... Speaking of grief, it's clear she's all mixed up with Nathan Prescott's shit. I have no idea what's going on between them, but I am going to find out, no matter what."
Chloe and Max grew up together in Arcadia Bay with their families, where they were close childhood friends who used to always hang around each other and used to play pirates at their homes or in the woods, dreaming of their future and the adventures they would experience together.
We discover that Chloe had a cat named Bongo, who died in 2008.
In 2008, Max was with Chloe at her house when her father tragically died in a car crash. Although Max was supportive at the time, her family moved away to Seattle, leaving Chloe to deal with her grief alone. Chloe always used to smile and laugh, but gradually became more resentful of her life without her father and Max. Later in the same year, Chloe's mother Joyce married David Madsen, a military veteran and Head of Security at Blackwell Academy whom Chloe immediately despised. From there, Chloe started getting more rebellious, hanging around with bad boys, taking drugs and running away from home making the junkyard her secondary home. She grew more and more frustrated with Arcadia Bay and conceived the desire to escape from her home town. Her emotional temperament took physical form, as she gradually changed her outward appearance to the punk-rockish style of today. She often got into varying degrees of mischief and thus earned a bad reputation with the local police over the years.
Chloe attended Blackwell Academy, at least since 2010, where she eventually found support from another local girl Rachel Amber, striking up a firm friendship.[note 3] Her student file reveals she had a 1.7 GPA, taking part in pranks and vandalism before being thrown out of the Academy two years before Max began attending. The two girls planned to run away together to California to start a new life before Rachel's disappearance prior to the beginning of the game. Chloe planned to leave Arcadia Bay without paying Frank back.
Chloe originally had long strawberry-blonde hair before cutting it. She began to dye it some years ago during her time at Blackwell, in chunks at first, as evident from a picture of her on her birthday with David and her Blackwell Academy Record photo; her hair gradually progressed from streaky to entirely blue. She's also got tattoos and piercings.
Before the Storm Edit
Episode One - "Chrysalis" Edit
Max unknowingly encounters Chloe in the girls' bathroom of Blackwell, arguing with Nathan Prescott. Chloe tries to blackmail him; keeping quiet about his drug-dealing in exchange for cash. Nathan shoots her in the stomach, and Max rewinds time in order to save her, at this point in time not knowing her true identity as her old best friend. Max succeeds in saving Chloe, and she flees the bathroom.
Chloe runs into Max again in the parking lot as Max is confronted by Nathan, who accuses her of spying on the argument in the bathroom. She rescues Max, driving away from the Academy to her house. In the car, Chloe is accusatory about Max abandoning her for Seattle and not keeping in touch. She also looks to Max for a hopeful new friendship, and the two ultimately reconnect.
Back in her house, Chloe smokes weed in her bedroom; ignoring the etiquette of smoking by not offering a draw to Max, implying that she thinks Max is not rebellious enough to handle the drugs, or perhaps that Chloe is too selfish and addicted to share with her old friend, or simply assuming Max wasn't the type for smoking weed.
Max can search around the room; there are many different keepsakes of Chloe and Max's childhood together, including a now-ruined height chart on the wall, created by Chloe's father to keep track of their height. She comments that Chloe was always taller than her. Chloe keeps old drawings from their tween years depicting the girls as superheroes.
As the scene plays out, we discover the lock-box filled with mementos, and she confides in Max about Rachel Amber. Their friendship was evidently strong, as Chloe reveals that the many Missing Person posters around the town of Arcadia Bay were put up by her in a bid to find Rachel. Chloe comments that Rachel "saved her life", and was her "angel". She becomes obviously upset as she remembers her friend, daydreaming thoughtfully as Max puts on the CD, and asks to be alone.
When Max returns to the room, Chloe notices Max was who saved her earlier in the girls' bathroom and sets aside her joint to present Max with her father's old camera which she wants to give Max since she knows last month was her birthday, proving that she trusts Max again. Chloe becomes more light-hearted, blaring loud music and dancing on her bed while smoking. She asks Max to take a picture and dance with her. The two are interrupted by Chloe's step-father coming home, and complaining about the loud music. We find out her step-father is actually David Madsen, Head of Security at Blackwell.[note 4] Chloe asks Max to hide so that David won't find out about her having a stranger in the house. This implies that Chloe would have strangers over frequently enough for David to be uncomfortable with it.
Chloe blames Max for the joint. The player can choose whether or not Max takes the blame. If you take the blame, David will threaten Max's scholarship and warn her to stay away from the house. Chloe will be impressed that you took the blame for her, and considers it an epic win against David. She then waits for Max on the bed.
Chloe blames Max for the joint. The player can choose whether or not Max takes the blame. If you blame Chloe, David accuses Max of getting "good friend rates" for the weed, because Chloe has all the best shit. Chloe antagonizes him, swearing and calling him a pig. He hits her in the face and Max comforts her. He seems sad, but tells her she was asking for it. He threatens Max's well-being at Blackwell and warns her away from the house. Chloe is upset with Max, feeling betrayed again. She wishes she hadn't even seen Max, and immediately leaves the house.
If Max hides, but intervenes to take blame for the joint, Chloe is impressed with her and the loyalty she shows. Although Max is threatened by David concerning her scholarship and warns her to stay away from the house, Chloe confides in her that she is responsible for taking the missing gun, and shows the gun to Max before they leave the house.
If Max stays hidden for the entire confrontation, Chloe antagonizes David, saying she wishes he would leave her mother and her alone, and stop treating them like a platoon. David hits Chloe across her face. He apologizes, and says that she keeps pushing him. When he leaves, Max apologizes for not stepping in, but Chloe resolves that he would have been nastier if he had seen her in the room. Chloe is unhappy and contemplative for the rest of the episode.
The two girls exit the house through the window, as Chloe does frequently, and end up at the lighthouse. Chloe confides in Max that she was drugged by Nathan Prescott after a night out at a seedy bar, and that she awoke to find him crawling towards her with a camera. She tried to blackmail him after that, and so they met up in the Blackwell bathroom. She admits that she would like to drop a bomb on Arcadia and turn it to glass.[note 5] After Max collapses with her vision, Chloe initially doesn't believe her friend, advising her to get high to get over her delusions. However, Max ultimately convinces her of the truth that she can rewind time after the snow-storm begins.
Episode Two - "Out of Time" Edit
The episode starts as Max heads to meet Chloe at the Two Whales Diner, where Joyce works. Chloe arrives late, and is punished by her mother for her sass by giving her less bacon. Joyce mentions that Chloe probably has her entire college fund tied up in her diner tab. Chloe wants proof of Max's new-found powers. Max obliges by telling her the contents of her pockets; a parking ticket for 10:34am, a pack of 7 cigarettes, a robot panda key-chain and 86 cents. For further proof, Max predicts the future in the diner to Chloe's amazement. Max gets a nosebleed from over-using her powers. Chloe then asks Max to come with her to a secret spot in order to further test her powers.
Before leaving, Max will get a phone call from Kate. The player will have to choose whether to answer or not.
If Max stops to answer the phone and comfort Kate, she will feel better about her situation at Blackwell and appreciate the support. However, Chloe will be caught by Joyce and the two will argue. Chloe doesn't appreciate that Max fobbed her off for one of the new Blackwell friends she sees everyday.
Kate will feel more abandoned later on in the game if Max doesn't answer, but Chloe will be happy to escape the diner before her mother can start a fight between them.
Watched by Frank as they leave the diner, the two leave for the American Rust Junkyard. Chloe christens it her "home away from hell". It's clear that she hangs out there a lot. Drinking, she asks Max to fetch more beer bottles from around the yard to set up a gun range. During the collection of the bottles, Max finds a hideaway belonging to Chloe and Rachel. The graffiti and belongings of the girls radiate around the hideaway, emphasizing how close they were.
Max then helps Chloe on the shooting range, rewinding for more impressive shots. If Chloe shoots the car bumper, she accidentally shoots herself, causing Max to rewind again. Max passes out from using her power too much, and awakens to Chloe comforting her. Chloe sits on the hood of a car, waiting for her friend to recover enough to have her turn at shooting. As Max handles the gun, Frank shows up, having followed them and heard the gun noises and breaking glass. He threatens Chloe, demanding the money she owes him. Mid-conversation, Chloe notices a bracelet on Frank's wrist belonging to Rachel. She interrupts him, asking where he got the bracelet. He pulls a knife on her, and Max intervenes by revealing the gun and aiming at Frank.
As Max pulls the trigger, the gun clicks, out of ammo. Frank is pissed, saying he will remember that you tried to shoot him. However, Chloe is impressed and commends you for how badass you are.
If Max fails to pull the trigger, Frank leans forwards and takes the gun. He leaves, and Chloe seems unimpressed that you lost her only form of protection against her enemies.
Chloe asks to leave the Junkyard to clear her head, and the two girls walk along the train tracks together. They both lie down and talk about Arcadia Bay and Rachel, and Chloe gets into trouble again as Chloe gets her foot stuck in the train tracks just as a train is approaching.
Max saves Chloe by obtaining a crowbar to open the door to a small office and finding a pair of wirecutters inside. Max uses this pair of wirecutters on the fuse box by the tracks to cut a set of red wires, which releases the tracks' grip on Chloe, allowing her to escape.
Max saves Chloe by pushing a large bollard onto the tracks. This results in the tracks breaking, but Chloe being able to run away. This effects the Trucker's mood outside the Diner in Episode 3. He becomes impatient because the shipment he's waiting for has not yet arrived due to a train track error.
Chloe is impressed with Max having saved her again and they both head back to Blackwell to let Max get to her art class. Chloe drops her off at the school, leaving to head home.
Chloe is seen in the credit scene, sitting alone on the bench at the lighthouse and texting Max, while the eclipse occurs.
Episode Three - "Chaos Theory" Edit
Max is awoken at the start of the episode by a text from Chloe, asking her to meet at the front of Blackwell to talk about Kate, David and the mysterious disappearance of Rachel, and the connection between them all. Chloe jumps Max when she approaches, screaming "Boo-yah" as a joke, which Max does not appreciate. Chloe reveals that she believes all the happenings in Arcadia Bay are connected, and that the answer is in Principal Wells' office. She shows Max David's spare keys, and the two head off to explore the school at night. They come across Victoria and Jefferson on their way into the building. As they enter the Principal's Secretary's office, they realize the keys to the office are missing. Max devises a pipe bomb with help from Warren and the two break into the office. Chloe is determined that she can pick the lock before Max "cheats with her rewind", but ultimately fails.
They explore the office together, Chloe checking the computer and indulging in the ugly, but highly comfortable chair at the desk. Max obtains the student records of herself, Kate Marsh, Victoria Chase, Nathan Prescott, Warren Graham and Rachel Amber. Chloe finds a reference to Rachel Amber with a cryptic message of "Rachel in the Dark Room" and a strange drawing being mentioned by Nathan constantly within the principal's computer. As they leave, Chloe searches through the principal's desk drawers and uncovers an envelope full of money that is labeled as the school's handicapped fund. Chloe thinks that money would be enough to pay off Frank and to drive out of town. Max may rewind time to see Chloe's response to Max's decision with the money before leaving the office.
Max thinks that they may get divine retribution for doing such a deed, but considering Chloe's debt and Frank threatening her and demanding Chloe to repay him by Friday, Max reasons that Frank may be more inclined to tell them about Rachel Amber if they pay off Chloe's debt by taking the money. Max thinks of repaying the money they stole at a later time. Chloe looks visibly pleased and relieved her debt problem with Frank will be over.
Max thinks it wasn't worth getting into trouble and risking divine retribution for stealing the money meant for the school's handicapped fund. Chloe feels disappointed and puts the money back inside the drawer.
After leaving the office, Chloe suggests to Max that they have a late night swim at the Blackwell swimming pool all to themselves. Although hesitant as they were breaking into Blackwell property and breaking the night curfew, Max finds herself unable to refuse Chloe's offer as she feels she needs some time alone with Chloe after the day's events. They both talk about Max's powers and her relationship with Warren. As they were about to leave the swimming pool area, Blackwell security came to search the area, having discovered evidence of a break-in. Chloe's pickup truck was spotted by a security officer as they drove away. Chloe asked Max to stay at her place for the night as Max is unable to return to her dormitory.
The following day, Max takes her usual daily selfie with Chloe next to her. Chloe's mood and mobile phone messages to Frank Bowers about her debt will be dependent on whether Max allowed her to take the money from the school's handicapped fund. Chloe's mobile phone picture will also be dependent on whether Max took blame for her earlier when David caught her smoking the weed, didn't answer Kate's phone call earlier, tried to shoot Frank earlier and whether Max allowed her to take the money earlier. She may have changed her background picture from Rachel to Max. Max will see a book on mystic weather supernatural sciences by Doctor J. Karswell on Chloe's desk which Max thinks Chloe is trying to help find out more about Max's tornado vision and the snowfall. Max may check Chloe's laptop to see news on Kate's suicide attempt and on the break-in last night. Max may check Chloe's wallet in the room to find the butterfly photo she took from Max in exchange for William's analog camera. Max may also check Chloe's desk drawer to find that old mobile phone they both had in their younger days when Max was still in Arcadia Bay. Max may check her clothes to find they are still wet with chlorine. Chloe suggests that Max should try out some of Rachel's clothes in the wardrobe as she is approximately of the same size as Max. When Max expresses hesitation at wearing clothes meant for Rachel, Chloe tries to encourage Max to try them on and use her rewind power if they do not fit. Chloe also makes a bold suggestion that Max kiss her as a dare and to use her rewind power as well if she doesn't like it.
Chloe takes a few steps back in surprise after Max kisses her and she remarks that Max is "hardcore" and Chloe jokes that she will text Warren that he doesn't stand a chance unless he's into girl-on-girl action. It's later revealed that she really texted Warren. Max will think that kiss was priceless to Chloe.
Chloe returns to her bed and remarks that she wasn't that easy to allow any kissing on her, Max might already have used her rewind power after kissing her and Chloe jokes that she will text Warren that Max is saving herself all for him. It's later revealed that she really texted Warren. Max will think that Chloe was very bold to suggest such a dare.
After Max puts on Rachel's clothes and finds that they fit her nicely, Chloe asks Max to go downstairs and have breakfast first before her, so she can "wake 'n' bake".
When Chloe joins Max and Joyce for breakfast downstairs, Chloe whispers a plan to Max to break into David Madsen's laptop and surveillance system while she starts an argument with Joyce to divert her attention away from Max. As Max was rejoining Chloe and Joyce at the dining table, David entered the house, complaining of being made to stay overnight to write reports over the break-in at Blackwell Academy last night, or having to work part-time to compensate for him being placed on temporary leave in Blackwell. When David saw Max in Rachel's clothes, David started to comment on Max and Rachel's behavior and Chloe started an argument with David. Max may choose to side with Chloe or David.
Max backs David up, saying there is no proof that he has done anything wrong. As far as they know, Nathan is the one at fault. Chloe brings up how shady it is that he has secret files and security cameras. Joyce will put an end to the argument, saying she doesn't want anyone accused of anything in their house. David thanks Max for defending him, and warns her that it's his family. Joyce also thanks Max for defending her family, despite her daughter doing the opposite. Chloe is disappointed, and asks Max to rewind the situation to change the outcome.
Max brings up his threatening attitude towards students, and his unsettling files containing information about Kate and Rachel. She will also bring up the matter about David hitting Chloe, if you chose to stay hidden in episode one. Joyce finds the files disturbing, but David refuses to explain his actions regarding the surveillance system. She asks him to leave the house and head to a hotel. David is very hurt by this, and says he never wants to see Max again. Joyce tells Max that David brought this on himself. Chloe asks Max not to rewind on her decision, feeling very pleased with the outcome.
If Max throws the bone towards the road, Frank's dog will get hit by a car.
If Max throws the bone into the parking lot, Frank's dog will be safe.
Once in the RV, Chloe sits in the driver seat and expresses how awesome it would be to cruise around in the RV with Max. Chloe will ask Max if she could see them traveling together. Max agrees and will, if you kissed Chloe earlier, mention that Chloe would probably want her to kiss her again. They search Frank's RV and Max finds a beaten up journal in one of the RV air vents in which Max finds photo evidence of Rachel Amber being more than "friends" with Frank. Max also finds romantic letters and notes Rachel wrote to Frank. Max shows Chloe the journal, causing Chloe to storm out of the RV. They leave swiftly, getting into Chloe's pickup.
On the way back to Blackwell in Chloe's pickup, Chloe blames her misfortune on the death of her biological father, William, and becomes angry with Max over leaving her, regardless of whether Max sided with Chloe or David earlier. Chloe will drop Max at Blackwell Academy without even looking at Max or waving goodbye to her which is a large contrast to Chloe dropping Max at Blackwell Academy earlier in episode 2.
Feeling equally upset at Chloe's outburst, Max will take a look at the last picture Chloe's father took of them after returning to her dormitory room and suddenly discover her ability to jump back in time through photos. She uses the last photo of herself and Chloe that was taken before William died. Max will find herself in Chloe's house five years ago. Max prevents William's death by either throwing his car keys into the sink or tossing them out the back door. This action creates an alternative timeline in which Chloe's life is largely different from her original self, thus causing Max's life to be somewhat different.
When Max comes back to her senses, she realizes everything has changed. Max is part of the Vortex Club and Warren is Stella's boyfriend. In disbelief, Max searches for Chloe. When Max arrives at Chloe's house, she is greeted by William and then by Chloe in a wheelchair. She is severely immobilized and can only breathe with the help of a machine.
Episode Four - "Dark Room" Edit
While taking a walk, Chloe explains how she got into a car accident which caused her disability. A person in a SUV cut Chloe off and caused her to run into a ditch. It is evident that Chloe's disability has been very hard on her parents. Max finds signs of debt throughout the house as she goes to get Chloe's medicine and learns Chloe's lung capacity is diminishing. Chloe only has a certain amount of time before she dies. Chloe tells Max that she knows that she is dying and that she wishes the time with Max to be her last memory. Max has the choice to or not to give Chloe an overdose of her medicine. If Max gives Chloe an overdose, Chloe will thank her before dying. If Max does not give Chloe an overdose, Chloe will lash out at her, angry that her best friend wouldn't help her with this one request.
Max focuses on the last photo William took and will return to the original timeline.
In this episode, Chloe helps Max to deduce and investigate Rachel Amber's disappearance and Kate Marsh's suicide attempt. They've been up all night and Chloe tries to keep herself awake by drinking coffee. After Max returns to this timeline, she hugs Chloe joyfully, and, if Max decided to kiss Chloe earlier, she will joke, "You get one kiss and now you're all over me."
They decide to search for information from David Madsen, Nathan Prescott and Frank Bowers. While Max is looking for further hints in David's garage, Chloe tries to find some information on the Internet.[note 6]
Max says that she first has to check how Kate's doing in the hospital. When the duo arrives there, Chloe says hospitals always freaked her out. She apologizes to Max for preventing her from being Kate's friend and being angry when she called. Chloe says that Max saved Kate similarly to her. Then she patiently waits outside the room while Max chats up with Kate. In the end, Max thanks Chloe for coming with her and they head to Blackwell.
In the Blackwell campus, they stumble upon Mr. Jefferson, who is interested why someone as cool as Chloe isn't attending this school. Chloe says that she once was, and her story is in actual files. When Jefferson tells Max to come to the End of The World party, Chloe says she'll be there too, as she's "Max's date". When Jefferson leaves, Chloe tells Max he's "hot for a teacher", much to Max's displeasure.
Max has to question the people on campus on Nathan's whereabouts while Chloe chats with Justin. When Max learns from Ms. Grant that Nathan isn't currently at Blackwell, the girls decide to sneak into his room and search for clues. Chloe guards the dormitory entrance while Max goes to Nathan's room. When they are ready to leave, Nathan suddenly shows up and is angry with them for breaking into his dormitory. Fortunately, Warren is there to help Max. He headbutts Nathan to the ground, and if Max doesn't intervene, beats him up to the point when Nathan can't get up from the floor and Chloe picks up Nathan's gun and they go outside. If Max stops Warren, Nathan picks up his gun again before he leaves to his room.
Max and Chloe thank Warren and he leaves. Chloe tells Max that Warren is indeed in love with her, to which Max replies she knows. Chloe texts Frank that she has his money and Frank replies he wants to meet right now near his RV. The dialogue with Frank is complex, but here are three main outcomes:
Frank and Pompidou both die after being shot, and killed, by Chloe. Max and Chloe steal his account book key from his dead body. Chloe is terrified by the fact that she had to kill a man and a dog.
Frank is wounded after being either stabbed or shot in the leg by Chloe. He begrudgingly agrees to give Max and Chloe the account book key.
The situation is handled well and no one gets hurt. Frank agrees to give you the account book key and becomes an ally in the cause to find Rachel.
The girls finally return to Chloe's house to piece the facts together. Their investigation leads them to an abandoned barn owned by the Prescott family where they discover a hidden underground bunker beneath which was the dark room Nathan was mentioning and illegal photography was carried out on Rachel Amber, Kate Marsh and other missing girls from Arcadia Bay.
Upon seeing Rachel's files, Chloe rushes with Max to the Junkyard and uncovers a body at the same spot she reconized on one of Rachel's pictures, which she believes to be Rachel's. Enraged, Chloe drives Max to the Vortex Club Party at Blackwell Academy hoping to confront Nathan and stop him. However, they fail to find him and when Chloe receives a message from Nathan saying he had got rid of all the evidence of Rachel's disappearance, Chloe and Max rush back to the Junkyard in the dark. Suddenly caught by surprise from behind, Max is dosed with sedatives rendering her unable to use her rewind. Hearing Max's warning Chloe turns around and expresses shock at the culprit which turns out to be Mr. Jefferson. Before she has the opportunity to aim her gun, she is shot in the head and falls backwards onto Rachel's grave.
Episode Five - "Polarized" Edit
In this episode, Max initially prevents Chloe's death at the hands of Mark Jefferson by rewinding through the selfie she took on the first day of the week in Jefferson's class and informing David of Jefferson's deeds, creating a new timeline where Jefferson was already arrested on Tuesday with Chloe still alive and Max as the winner of the photo contest in San Francisco. Through Max's text messages we get to know that Max was there for Chloe after finding out about Rachel's death on Tuesday; everything that happened the following days in the original timeline probably never did. After David captured Jefferson and helped in punishing Rachel's murderer, he apologized to Chloe. Chloe realized David's efforts and true care for their family, and came to good terms with him even calling him "step-hero". She also seemed to have put behind all the burdens that pulled her down all the years; she appears livelier by using emoji and has hope for the future again, as she planned to enroll in the Bay City College. After finding out about Max's win on Wednesday, she is evidently very proud and happy for Max and had helped Max to pack for San Francisco. Aside from finding out about Rachel's death, everything seems optimal for Chloe. However, in this timeline she will be killed by the tornado from the vision that already approached the town in the middle of a phone call with Max in the gallery.
Having witnessed Chloe dying yet again, Max returns back to captivity in the Dark Room where Chloe was already dead at that point. Max escaped from the Dark Room with the help of David. Before leaving the Dark Room, Max has a conversation with David, at the end of which he asks where Chloe is. Max can tell him the truth or hide it.
Upon hearing the bad news, David looks visibly distraught that he didn't manage to save Chloe in time, and never told her he loved her. Afterwards, he will kill Jefferson in an act of revenge and sit on the floor next to Jefferson's dead body. If Max tries to talk to David, he will ask Max to leave the Dark Room, preferring not to let Max see him in that state.
If Max hides the truth about Chloe by telling him that Chloe went medicating before she ended up in the Dark Room, he is happy and reassured for the first time in his life that Chloe is a stoner. Afterwards, David goes on to investigate Jefferson's computer. If Max tries to talk to David, he will ask Max to leave the Dark Room, saying Max has probably had enough of the place.
After leaving the Dark Room, Max will manage to reach Warren at the Two Whales diner and successfully revive Chloe yet again by using the selfie photograph that she took with Warren at the End of the World Party and returning to the time where it was taken the night before. Max warns Chloe of Jefferson's treachery and Nathan's apparent death at his hands. Moreover Max reveals to Chloe what she had experienced in the alternative timelines where Max prevented William's death and she could not keep fixing the altered time. Max manages to convince Chloe, and instead of springing Jefferson's trap as they did before, Max and Chloe proceed to report the scandal to David, who promptly, with the help of the police, will arrest Mark Jefferson, and stay at Chloe's home till the storm is about to strike. After altering, Max wakes up at the beach and finds out with the tornado striking Arcadia Bay the next day, that Chloe took Max to the beach where they would be protected from the storm. Shortly after their reunion, Max loses consciousness and falls into a disturbing nightmare which features Chloe and the key moments between both of them over the week. (More details on that added later.)
During Max's unconsciousness, Chloe carried Max up to the cliff. When Chloe and Max reach the lighthouse, safe and out of the way of the incoming tornado, Max finally laments to Chloe that she was the cause of the town's destruction. Whereas Chloe, admitting her selfishness after how much Max went through preventing and reviving her from death over and over again, is ready to accept her own fate of death. Chloe hands Max the photograph of the Blue Butterfly Max took in the Blackwell bathroom and gives her the option to return to the time where Nathan killed her in the Blackwell bathroom to undo the damage, or to move on from the present timeline from there. But whichever decision Max would make, Chloe would be cool either way, as she knows Max would make the right decision.
Max will kiss or hug Chloe before she rewinds for the final time, depending on earlier choices on whether she kissed Chloe earlier and took Chloe's side at least two times throughout in previous episodes. With their final farewells, Max uses the photograph of the blue butterfly to return to the point where Nathan Prescott shot and killed Chloe in the bathroom in Blackwell. Only this time, Max does not intervene on Nathan. Mark Jefferson and Nathan were eventually arrested and questioned for their role in the deaths of Chloe and Rachel Amber. Time lapsing a few days later, the town is completely restored to normal without the ominous signs from the dead animals. Max attends Chloe's funeral at the cemetery close to the lighthouse, with David, Joyce, Principal Wells, Frank, Pompidou, Warren, Kate, Justin, Trevor, Victoria, and Dana among the attendees. During the ceremony, a blue butterfly will land on top of Chloe's coffin before flying away.
Max takes the photograph and rips it in half, already desiring that she could not lose Chloe yet again and giving her another shot in life. The storm subsides and Arcadia Bay is in ruins when the two return to the town in Chloe's truck. The two are last seen leaving Arcadia Bay and driving off into the distance.
Truck - Chloe drives an old brown pick-up truck, which is overdrawn with stickers. On the dashboard stands a push puppet singer with a microphone and fuzzy dice are hanging from the rear view mirror. It is possible that she used the money she borrowed from Frank to buy or repair her truck.
Gun (Determinant) - Prior to the game, Chloe stole a revolver from David's gun rack for protection against her enemies, mainly Nathan and Frank. In Episode 2, she does target practice at the junkyard with help from Max. When Frank arrives and Max threatens to shoot him, it's up to the player to decide if Chloe keeps the gun (Shoot) or Frank steals it away from Max (Don't Shoot). If she loses the gun, Max can obtain it again from Frank's RV. It is also possible for Chloe to steal a gun from Nathan in Episode Four, if Max allowed Warren to beat him up.
Key Ring - In Episode 3, Chloe steals a ring of keys from David. She attempts to use it to break into the Principal's office, only to find there isn't a key for the desired door.
Lock Picks - Prior to the game, Chloe learned lock-picking from Frank. In Episode 3, having failed to find a key to the Principal's office, she attempts to pick the door's lock, with little success.
Bracelet - Chloe always wears her bracelet throughout the game. In Episode 5, before Max uses the photo to save Chloe from Jefferson, it is present on the computer table in the Dark Room. Max expresses her wish to save Chloe a last time when looking at it.
Chloe has many instances in which she could die with or without Max's power:
- Nathan shoots Chloe in her stomach, but Max rewinds to save her.
- Chloe is almost crushed by a train before Max rewinds in order to reroute the train.
- She accidentally shoots herself in the stomach after a bullet ricocheted off the car bumper in the junkyard, also saved by Max rewinding (avoidable).
- Chloe dies in the alternative timeline if Max accepts her request to overdose her.
- She gets shot in the forehead by Jefferson after he doses Max.
- Chloe is presumably killed during the storm while Max and Principal Wells are at the Zeitgeist Gallery.
- If the player chose to sacrifice Chloe, Max travels to the moment when she took the photo in the bathroom. In doing so, Chloe dies the exact way she did in "Chrysalis", restoring the original timeline and stopping the storm from ever happening.
- Frank Bowers - (Caused, Directly) While Max and Chloe talk to Frank about Rachel on the beach in front of his RV, Chloe can shoot Frank and Pompidou with David's or Nathan's gun if he gets aggressive towards them because of reasons in their conversation (i.e. he finds out they broke into his RV).
- Pompidou - (Indirectly Caused, Determinant) Pompidou can get run over by a truck on the street while running after a bone thrown by Max in episode three. Chloe gives Max the choice to throw the bone therefore she holds complicity for Pompidou's death.
- Pompidou - (Caused, Directly) When Frank has Pompidou nearby and he gets aggressive during their confrontation in episode four, Chloe will shoot both.
The degree of advancement in certain relationships, particularly Chloe and Max's, is up to the player in many instances. Therefore their relationship is determinant; as with most characters in the game.
- Maxine Caulfield - Max and Chloe have been best friends since childhood. Chloe felt abandoned when Max moved to Seattle shortly after Chloe's father died, and while they were reunited when Max began attending Blackwell, she still retains some negative feelings from their separation. Even so, Chloe cares very deeply for Max and hopes to rekindle their friendship upon her return to Arcadia Bay, since she always hoped for a reunion. She thinks of Max as the smartest and most talented person she knows, and according to her mother, always wished she could be more like her. Chloe also keeps a lot of mementos of their childhood in her room. She considers the time they spend together in Arcadia Bay now as the best time since. Eventually, she may even replace the picture of herself with Rachel Amber on her phone with one of Max, depending on whether or not the player chooses to defend her, take her side and to help her with her problems. Though she can sometimes be insensitive, Chloe and Max remain best friends, regardless of the choices Max makes. Chloe doesn't want to lose Max again and has the wish to always stay by her side. In the last episode, if Max decides to sacrifice Chloe for the sake of Arcadia Bay, they will share a long hug or a kiss and Chloe will tell her that she will always love her. If Max decides to stay with Chloe, they will leave the town, promising to always stay together and probably start a new life together. (See here for more information on their relationship.)
- Rachel Amber - Rachel and Chloe became very close friends after Max left for Seattle. Chloe thinks of Rachel as her "angel", the one who rejuvenated her life after her father died and Max left her behind. The two often got into varying degrees of mischief and spent a lot of time in Chloe's "secret hideout." Chloe developed a deep trust in Rachel, rivaled only by her friendship with Max, and planned to leave Arcadia Bay for good with her once they paid off Frank Bowers, but she disappeared before they could do so. There are numerous mementos of Chloe and Rachel's friendship in their hideout and in Chloe's room, which prove their deep bond and Rachel's central role in Chloe's life. However, Chloe was unaware of Rachel's relationship with Frank, and feels betrayed when she finds out about it.
- Warren Graham - Chloe can easily see the budding romance he is trying to initiate with Max. From what Max tells her, she sees him as another "Blackwell bro" and sometimes pokes fun of him. But it is implied that Chloe gets jealous of Max when she is with Warren, especially if the player agrees to go to a drive-in theatre with him. If the player chooses to kiss Chloe, she will joke that Warren "doesn't stand a chance" and text him about it later. When Nathan attacks Max and Chloe after they are caught investigating the boy's dorms, Warren headbutts Nathan, allowing him, Max, and Chloe to escape. Later, Chloe tells Warren that he is awesome for beating up Nathan.
- Justin Williams - Chloe used to hang out skating with Justin while she was friends with Rachel Amber. After her disappearance the two distanced themselves, but their friendship is still intact, as she fist bumps him when entering the Two Whales Diner in "Out of Time", and talks to him in front of the Prescott Dormitory in "Dark Room".
- Trevor - Chloe used to hang out with Trevor and his skater friends prior to Rachel Amber's disappearance.
- Frank Bowers - Frank and Chloe used to hang out a lot drinking alcohol or taking drugs, but she never had any further interest in him. He was her drug dealer and she planned to leave Arcadia Bay without paying back the money she borrowed from him. Furthermore, she can't understand why her friend Rachel Amber would ever engage herself in a relationship with someone like him. Despite Chloe's angry outburst after finding out about Rachel's relationship with Frank, Chloe will eventually understand and accept their relationship where Chloe will feel remorseful if Chloe was forced to kill Frank in self-defense. Similarly, if Chloe was killed by Nathan Prescott in the sacrifice Chloe ending, Frank Bowers will attend Chloe's funeral and watch the funeral proceedings from a distance.
- David Madsen - After William's death Joyce remarried to David Madsen making him Chloe's step-dad. They have a very negative relationship that includes several disrespecting nicknames such as "step-fucker". If Max doesn't take the blame for the weed, he slaps her and calls her a loser. However, after finally realizing his good will in "Polarized", clearly impressed and respectful, she calls him "stepfather" and even "step-hero". She also finally acknowledges his relationship with her mother.
- William Price - Chloe was very close with her father and spent much time with him growing up. Before his death, she was bright and hopeful, traits she likely got from him, and enjoyed cooking breakfast alongside him. His sudden death left her devastated and led to her bad attitude and pessimistic outlook.
- Joyce Madsen - Chloe's relationship with her mother is strained due to her irresponsible behavior and Joyce's marriage to David. Sometimes, Chloe even feels betrayed by Joyce for marrying someone like him. Chloe also sometimes blames Joyce for the death of her father, due to her being the reason behind William using the car the day of his accident. Joyce still holds hope that Chloe will turn her life around, whether it be with the help of Max or Rachel, but Chloe very rarely returns her affection. In "Polarized" however, Chloe finally acknowledges what her mother had to give up and live through over all the years, and even appreciates the role David plays in her life now.
- Aunt Dorothy - It's revealed in the alternate timeline that Joyce has an aunt. Not much is known about her other than her inability to help the Prices financially due to having her own medical bills.
- Aaron Price - William's brother sent a letter to him regarding not being able to send as much money as he'd like.
- David Madsen - There is no evidence that Chloe's relationship with her step-father has been anything other than fragmented, particularly on her end. Chloe typically refers to him as "step-douche", "step-dildo" or "step-prick" and this disrespect only aggravates his locked-in military mindset. She is unsettled by his paranoia and is eager to find a way to incriminate him for his surveillance at Blackwell. However, David seems to want a loving relationship with Chloe despite her criminal activities and bad attitude; a birthday card from him to her suggests that he is proud to be a step-father and wants the same as Joyce; to be a family. Despite this, David has been shown to be physically and verbally abusive towards Chloe, such as slapping her and calling her a loser if Max does not take the blame for Chloe's marijuana.
- Nathan Prescott - Chloe and Nathan despise each other. Chloe met Nathan at a bar when he was wasted, and tried to use his drunken state to con him out of money she could use to pay back Frank. But Nathan spiked her drink and took photos of her in her vulnerable state before she could escape his dormitory room. Deducing that Nathan deals drugs at Blackwell, she planned to blackmail him for money. Nathan grows angry at Chloe and threatens each other to stay away. After it becomes clear that Nathan is partially responsible for the drugging, photographing and death of Rachel Amber, Chloe is on the warpath and resolves to get revenge for her friend.
- Frank Bowers - (Determinant) Chloe and Frank are at odds after she borrowed three thousand dollars from Frank without a way to pay him back. She hoped that Rachel could help her but she disappeared without warning. Frank threatens Chloe when she doesn't pay him back, but Chloe becomes more disgusted with Frank than scared when she sees him wearing Rachel's bracelet and eventually learns that the two had a relationship. When Max and Chloe visit Frank, depending on whether or not the player chooses to give Frank the money stolen from the handicap fund (as well as how they treat Frank), they may be on better terms after the encounter. Alternatively, Chloe may wound or even kill Frank (and his dog) if it goes awry, significantly distancing them in the latter case.
- Mark Jefferson - Chloe originally thought Mark Jefferson was "hot for a teacher" and teased Max about Max's admiration for Mark. Max and Chloe were too intent on finding Nathan Prescott to avenge Rachel Amber's death that they both fell into Mark Jefferson's trap and Chloe was eventually killed by Jefferson. Max had to travel back in time through photos taken earlier to attempt to keep Chloe alive as well as to warn Chloe and David about Mark Jefferson. Chloe will ask Max to promise her to make Rachel Amber's killers pay if Max decides to sacrifice Chloe in the final episode.
- Victoria Chase - Chloe appears to know of Victoria outside of Max's interactions with her. If the player mocks Victoria (and takes her picture), Chloe will call Victoria a skank and say "karma is a bitch", indicating that she was not on good terms with her. In Episode 4, Chloe is not surprised when Victoria wins the Everyday Heroes Photo Contest through means of blackmail.
- Max Caulfield - From the beginning, there are several implications that Chloe has romantic feelings for Max. She is very fond of her company and claims that Max gives her a reason for staying in Arcadia Bay, since over the years without Max she just tried to get out of there. Chloe obviously admires Max a lot thinking of her as the smartest and most talented person she knows. Based on the player's behaviour and decisions, Chloe will change her mobile phone background from Rachel to Max. She often makes insinuating and teasing comments on Max, such as "Maybe you made a move on me and I would never know", "Sure Blackwell bros are all over you, like Warren" or "I just don't think anybody is good enough for you... besides me.", and becomes somewhat distressed when she learns that Max is going to a movie with Warren. She will also joke about marrying Max if Max attempted to shoot Frank in episode two. Chloe appears very intrigued if Max decides to enter the Blackwell Swimming Pool through the girls' dressing locker instead of the boys'. Also, the way she ogles at Max when she takes off her clothes at the swimming pool indicates further interest. She comments on her as cute on several occasions, for example after their Blackwell night trip, and even dares Max to kiss her, which will impact their relationship as time goes on. If Max decides to kiss her, Chloe will react very surprised and embarrassed, and joke that she will text Warren, who she perceives as a possible rival, that he doesn't stand a chance. She will also tell Max better not to rewind and take that kiss back. Otherwise, she will react somewhat disappointed and claim that Max already macked on her and then used her rewind. Driven by jealousy, she will mention that she would text Warren that Max saved herself all for him. Chloe will later refer to that kiss when Max hugs her after returning from the alternative timeline as, "You got one kiss and now you're all over me?" In the last episode, Max writes in her journal that she didn't know if the jealousy she felt when seeing Chloe in her nightmare be with other people was the feeling of friendship or love, and that she's about to find out. Max refers to Chloe as her number one priority and all that matters to her, while constantly desperately trying to keep her by her side. She may even decide to give up her dream of becoming a recognized artist as made possible in the San Francisco timeline, or to sacrifice a whole town to be with Chloe for the rest of her life. If Max chooses to sacrifice Chloe, kissed her in episode three and supported her enough until then, they will share one final kiss before Max travels back in time to correct the timeline. Chloe will tell her that she will always love her to which Max will respond that she will never forget her. If Max chooses to save her instead, Chloe will say that she will always be with her. They will eventually leave Arcadia Bay's ruins behind after the storm subsided, and probably start a new life together. (See here for more information on their relationship.)
- Rachel Amber - Chloe had a crush on Rachel during their time together, which is evident in how fondly she talks about her to Max, describing her as her "angel" and "savior", but also as "smart and sexy". The fact that she keeps mementos of them in a metal box under her bed, that she carries a photo of Rachel around in her wallet, or that she has a picture of her as her mobile background, emphasizes how highly Chloe treasures Rachel. She later admits to Max that she had a crush on Rachel in "Chaos Theory". Clearly, this is reinforced by how hurt Chloe is when she finds out about Rachel's (romantic/sexual) relationship with Frank. She is also driven to tears when she discovers Rachel's body in the junkyard, admitting to Max that she loved her. It's unknown whether Rachel knew about those feelings, or reciprocated them. But considering how troubled Rachel was to tell Chloe about her relationships with Frank and Jefferson, it's likely that she knew about Chloe's feelings towards her and didn't want to hurt her.
Alternative Timeline Edit
Chloe's previous history as an archetypal punk rocker has seemingly been wiped out completely in the new timeline Max created in "Chaos Theory" by preventing the death of Chloe's father, William. She is now restrained to an electrical wheelchair which assists with movement, as well as a breathing apparatus. This is due to a car accident that Chloe was involved in 2011 after William bought her a vehicle. An SUV cut her off, and she crashed, tragically snapping her spine and paralyzing herself.[note 7] Chloe also has severe troubles with her respiratory system, and is deteriorating quickly. The complete collapse of her respiratory system is inevitable, according to her doctor. Her parents decide not to tell her, ignoring the advice of the doctor. However, Chloe is fully aware of the situation, having heard the doctors discussing it while she was pretending to be asleep.
She is still a punk at heart, visiting websites for local rock shows and looking at magazines related to punk music and style. She has an old, spiked bracelet on her desk, reminiscent of the old Chloe.
Chloe refers to herself as a science nerd, and got straight A's before her accident. We know that she was unable to keep attending Blackwell Academy due to the lack of disability access available around the historic campus. Principal Wells suggested that she go to a different school, as evident from his letter to Chloe's parents dated the 8th of August, 2011.
In this timeline, Chloe collects snow domes[note 8]; keeping the one of the Doe. She also enjoys fluffy, cuddly toys, and has high-tech equipment for communicating online. Her room is decorated very differently; the walls are serene and no longer messy. Her inability to physically write on her walls is probably the cause, as she admits that sometimes she purposely rebels against her parents just so they will shout at her instead of treating her like a baby. She seems unhappy that she can't go "party like a rockstar" or "get into teen trouble with her folks". A picture of angels with the word "Faith" above it suggests Chloe or her parents are hopeful and possibly that they are turning to a small part of religion for guidance through their rough time.
This Chloe doesn't blame anyone for her condition, even though she had the right. She isn't angry at her parents or at Max, just grateful to be alive and to have her family watching over her.
Chloe's Family Edit
Chloe is aware that her accident has taken a huge toll on her family, and that her parents are struggling to cope with the medical bills in addition to their daughter's disability. Her mother is coping badly, glad that her cheery, hopeful husband is there to help. Her hope for the future seems to be gone entirely, knowing her daughter is going to die.[note 9] William and Chloe remain closer than ever; something which will hurt him extremely when she dies. His guilt about her accident still affects the family, as his purchasing of the car led to Chloe's accident in the first place.
Chloe's Uncle Aaron, William's brother, seems apologetic that he cannot help the family more, and like most other people in Chloe's life, failed to keep in touch regularly with the family due to his career. He sends a letter to William about this, which sits in Chloe's old room.
Chloe's parents also received a letter from Joyce's Aunt Dorothy who cannot financially assist them due to dealing with her own medical bills.
Chloe's Friends Edit
Chloe is extremely happy to see Max, unlike in the original timeline in which she was accusatory about Max abandoning her.[note 10] This is rather odd, as Max still did not visit Chloe in the alternate timeline, only sending her letters, the occasional text and a selfie of her on a road trip. It can be revealed that she was a little hurt by Max not visiting; but she understands, commenting that her friend isn't "SuperMax".[note 11] Chloe still considers Max as her best friend, still cherishing their childhood memories a lot, and chooses to have Max's company as her last good memory. She reveals that most of her other friends failed to keep in touch; including another girl, Megan Weaver, who was her particular friend. Megan sends her a postcard wishing her well.
She seems to have many online friends after joining the "Hawt Wheels Chat Room" as "Miss Blue".
Without frequenting Blackwell, Chloe has never met Rachel Amber in the alternate timeline and does not even know her name until Max tells her.
Spirit Animal and Symbolism Edit
Colour Symbolism Edit
Chloe is associated with several colors. Her clothing is notably black and white, which is associated with death, which makes sense due to Chloe's several run-ins with death during the game, and her death triggering Max's rewind power in the first place. She is hit directly in the stomach in the middle of the skull motif on her shirt in the beginning of the game. The skull imagery also associated with Chloe is interesting, and also reminiscent of death. Most of her shirts contain skulls, as does her vibrant tattoo.
Chloe is also associated with the color red. Her tattoo is filled with red ribbon-like designs. Red is associated with anger, aggression and tragic circumstances. All of this makes sense with Chloe due to her angry attitude towards her family situation and abandonment issues, as well as her own deaths and previous drug addiction. Red can also be associated with riches and wealth; the red ribbon could be a symbol of her desire for money, and her debt to Frank.
The last color Chloe is most highly associated with is the blue color of her hair which is also reflected in her eyes and nailpolish. It is associated with those who are vulnerable or aspiring for the future. This could add to both Chloe's emotional vulnerability with abandonment (as opposed to her near-death experiences) and her hopes of reuniting with Rachel. It also applies to the blue butterfly which appears during Chloe's first near-death experience during the game and later at her funeral in the Sacrifice Chloe ending.
Chloe's outfit is splashed with blue in the alternate timeline; this matches her breathing apparatus. The color makes sense, as her respiratory system is vulnerable and failing, and she becomes hopeful that she can have her last good memory with Max before she dies. The color red is also prominent here however, as a symbol of the tragic circumstances of her accident.
Chloe's clothing and the motifs on her shirts and her tattoo carry a lot of symbolism that is applicable to Chloe.
In episode two, Chloe has a buffalo skull on her shirt. Typically, buffaloes symbolize sacredness, life, gratitude, abundance and great strength. Depending on the tribe, to dream of a buffalo means guiding someone who has fallen on hard times back from the darkness. Considering that Chloe's shirt is portraying only the skull of a buffalo, it's subverting those meanings and, combined with the symbolism of death, rather making it symbolize being lost, giving up and the loss of hope for a better future.
In a part of the final episode, Chloe's wearing a shirt with a picture of the Ouroboros, an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail, on it. It symbolizes the cycle of life, something destroying itself while being renewed, creation out of destruction, life out of death. It's also meant to signify eternity, continuous renewal, and the soul of the world.
Chloe's tri-bullet-necklace may represent the three times Chloe is shot during the game (the girls' bathroom in "Chrysalis", Mr. Jefferson in "Dark Room", shooting herself determinantly on the junkyard in "Out of Time"; or maybe without the determinant shot, but the second time we see her getting shot is in the bathroom in the Sacrifice Chloe ending in "Polarized"). It is also interpreted as a representation of her loved ones' absence; William;her dad who died by traffic accident, Max;who left the town and went to Seattle, Rachel;who suddenly disappeared without saying a word.
Chloe's tattoo displays blue butterflies (plus chrysalis and some newly born butterflies), a worn out red ribbon, a golden skull, thorns and red tropical flowers which appear to be Hibiscus flowers.
Tropical flower tattoos are appropriate for both men and women. The symbolic meaning of a Hibiscus tattoo is delicate beauty or consumed by love.
Spirit Animal Edit
Chloe's spirit animal hasn't been confirmed by the developers. On one hand, the blue butterfly that appears before the moment of her death in Chrysalis is deeply connected to Chloe's character. The butterfly is the symbol of transformation, a person identified with this spirit animal can bring joy and bliss, they are lively, bright and go through various personal transformations, it may be a symbol to indicate you to lighten up and add color to your life. This resembles a lot Chloe's character who has gone through many personal changes. Even with a gun on her face she noted the butterfly at the beginning of the game. It's also a symbol of soul and immortality, which fits to Max constantly saving her. Furthermore, the colour blue is associated with both the butterfly and Chloe. There is also a poster of a blue butterfly in the Alternate Chloe's empty room (although it can simply be a reference to the butterfly effect). The only entry in Max's nightmare journal features a drawing of a butterfly with Chloe's head, further foreshadowing the final choice.
(An update after Episode 5 is required.)
On the other hand, there is also a strong symbolism associated with her spirit animal being the Blue-Jay. The Native American roots of the Blue-Jay spirit animal is vast and involves an ancient character named Blue-Jay who is ultimately good-natured and wants to help humanity, but cannot help but specialize in being mischievous. This is of course, highly associated with Chloe's personality.
Blue-Jay also travels to the land of the dead frequently, which makes sense as Chloe frequently dies, and is heavily associated with death colours and motifs. Blue-Jay is finally at peace with his death, appreciating the world of the dead only after he is finally gone. This could be symbolic of the end to Chloe's emotional suffering after her death, and possibly the end of her physical suffering in the alternative timeline. (This could also be a hint to the theory that Chloe is actually meant to die, disregarding Max's constantly saving her.)
The Blue-Jay in the game frequently dies, and Max is given the task of saving it. In Joyce's bedroom in Chrysalis, downstairs in the Madsen household in Chaos Theory, and again in Dark Room, we find a Blue-Jay and are given the option to save it or not. This is hugely symbolic of Max's constant choice of whether to save or abandon Chloe.
Name Meaning Edit
The name Chloe derives from the Greek mythology as an alternate name of the goddess of agriculture and fertility, the springs and animals, Demeter, and refers to the young, green foliage or shoots of plants. Demeter was especially worshipped for her power over air and water from historical times in Arcadia, a utopian unspoiled, harmonious wilderness, which is believed to be the mythological basis for the town of Arcadia Bay. She also presided over the sacred law, and the cycle of life and death, which may refer to Chloe's connection to death and her constant reviving by Max. She was known as the “goddess of the blessed afterlife”, which could tie in with connection to the spirit animal world. Chloe is a springtime name symbolizing new growth, though by no means as fresh as it once was, which refers to Chloe's character development in numerous way. It also is a Biblical name mentioned in the New Testament.
Memorable Quotes Edit
- — Chloe
- — Chloe
- "Everybody lies. No exceptions."
- — Chloe
- "Everybody cares until they don't."
- — Chloe
- "This shit-pit has taken away everyone I've ever loved... I'd like to drop a bomb on Arcadia Bay and turn it to fucking glass..."
- — Chloe in "Chrysalis"
- "I pledge allegiance to Max and the power for which she stands..."
- — Chloe heavily impressed by Max's rewind power
- "Since you're the mysterious superhero... I'll be your faithful chauffeur and companion!"
- — Chloe in "Out of Time"
- "Dude, you fuck shit up, you rewind, you fix it. Drop the mic. Boom."
- — Chloe in "Out of Time"
- "Why look, an otter in my water!"
- — Chloe to Max at the Swimming Pool in "Chaos Theory"
- "I'm so glad you're my partner in crime." - "As long as you're my partner in time."
- — Max and Chloe's response in "Chaos Theory"
Note: These are theories developed prior to the release of Polarized and may not be applicable anymore.
A likely theory which ties the game together was that Max would need to rewind using the butterfly photo she took in the Blackwell bathroom before Chloe was shot by Nathan. Going back to the beginning of the game, Max would need to let Chloe die in order to correct the timeline and put a halt to the eco-disaster befalling Arcadia Bay. On the other hand, it seemed contradictory that the eco-disaster still exists although Chloe's dying in the alternate timeline.
Another discussed scenario was that Max would step in on this moment and calm Nathan's rage in order to save Chloe and placate Nathan. However, this would be less likely, as Chloe's death is predicted symbolically in the game, and keeping her alive would not correct the wrongs in time; she was originally meant to die.
Another theory was that the cause of the upcoming disastrous tornado was nothing but Chloe's wrath toward her miserable destiny, say, loss of father, loss of friends; considering the moment in "Chrysalis" when at the beacon Max falls into her delusion of the storm right after Chloe cursed Arcadia Bay. It occurs that Chloe could be destructive power against the world and Max's duty is to save the world, and Chloe.
- Chloe is apparently left-handed, confirmed by the developers.
- Chloe's zodiac sign is Pisces.
- Chloe is revealed to have a belly button piercing.
- Chloe's address is 44 Cedar Ave, as evident from several postcards.
- Chloe can die or have close encounters with death in all episodes except "Chaos Theory".
- Chloe admits she went to counseling/therapy in the past, but no longer goes because she didn't like what her counselor had to say.
- Chloe's catch phrase "hella" is used 13 times by herself during the whole game. Fun fact: "Hella" was adapted to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary as a slang-term for "very, extremely" on April 27, 2016.
- Chloe's car is most likely the 7th generation of Ford F-150.
- Chloe's car's license plate spells "TWN PKS", which is a reference to Twin Peaks, an American television serial drama, which also takes place in Pacific Northwest and is centered around the mysterious disappearance of a well liked teenage girl prior to the series start. There are also two hills in San Francisco (the city where her parents took a photo together when Joyce was expecting Chloe) with the same name. It is a very prominent tourist attraction.
- Chloe seems to care about animals and her environment, as Max states she would never use animal products and seems to just use medicine on natural basis. Despite this, Chloe can be seen eating bacon at the diner in Episode 2.
- Chloe doesn't like to use emoji, as she frequently reminds Max of not using them herself, which is probably due to her depression and resentfulness. However, she does use emoji in the timeline Max causes in "Polarized" where Max won the Everyday Heroes Contest and Chloe recognized her step-fathers goodwill after he captured Jefferson.
- It's implied that Chloe is patriotic since she has a U.S. flag hanging in front of her room's window. There are other indications like a drawing which depicts Max and Chloe on an adventure accompanied by the "freedom eagle".
- Chloe's always wanted blue bangs like Pris from Blade Runner who inspired her to color her hair in the first place (this is said by Alternative Chloe, but Pris never actually had blue bangs).
- A number of inconsistencies exist between Chloe's height chart from the normal timeline and her height chart in the Alternative Timeline.
- Chloe has always loved manga, at least until she was 14.
- Chloe and Max's favorite childhood series include Spongebob, Power Rangers, Blue's Clues and Teletubbies.
- Until she was 14, Chloe used to read teenage lifestyle magazines such as "Tween Life Magazine".
- An unused audio file implies that Chloe's always wanted to have a dog.
- Chloe is seemingly bisexual, pansexual or sexually fluid, as she is both interested in Rachel and Max, has a porn magazine with girls in her hideout, had a "boy toy phase" and is carrying around condoms in her wallet. She also states that boys are gross, which could imply that she's more into girls than boys. She tells Max that Rachel "saved her" during her "boy toy phase", which indicates that Rachel was the first girl Chloe was in love with, and perhaps the turning point to realize that she's actually lesbian and not really interested in boys, at least not romantically. In Episode 4, Chloe does find Jefferson genuinely attractive but that doesn't necessarily mean anything regarding her sexuality (Which seems to lean heavily towards girls). She knew Max has that typical teacher/role model crush on Jefferson so Chloe makes those comments to fluster Max where her flirting was definitely mainly teasing with her. Also in Episode 5, Max perceived it that way as it leads into a nightmare about Max's insecurities: Jealous of other people getting Chloe's attention, feeling inadequate. Chloe also lets her true feelings show, she's possessive of Max and refers to herself as "Max's date".
- The photo of Max Chloe puts up as her mobile phone background in episode three if Max supported her enough until then is the same picture Max uses in her social media profile page. It's presumed that Chloe followed Max to her social media page and downloaded the picture from there, although it is also possible Max may have invited Chloe to Max's social media page in addition to exchanging their mobile phone numbers after seeing her again in the first episode.
- In a part of the final episode, Chloe's wearing a shirt with a picture of Ouroboros, an ancient symbol depicting a serpent or dragon eating its own tail, on it. This symbol is known to represent the renewal of life, or the cycle of life and death; it may tie with the story in which it symbolizes Max constantly reviving Chloe with her rewind powers.
- Chloe's character might be based on Lisbeth Salander from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The female protagonist has a very similar attitude and punk rock style like Chloe; she has the same badass attitude, short colored hair, tattoos and piercings, wears boots and skull motifs. A poster in Chloe's room looks identical to the one used in a promo for the American movie. Chloe's skull shirt from episode one closely resembles the skull motif on Lisbeth's shirt in the Swedish version. Though it's not directly linked to Chloe, Rachel's dragon tattoo is very similar to the dragon image on the Swedish version's film cover.
- Chloe might also be based on Emma from Blue is the Warmest Color. Both characters are punkish, rebellious teenage girls with short blue hair and are LGBT.
- In episode 5 during Max's nightmare, you need a digicode to get to the next area. The digicode is 0311, representing Chloe's birthday, 03/11 (March 11th), or less likely, the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake that actually happened on 11 March.
- The phrase, "Everybody Lies, No Exceptions" that is written on Chloe's wall, is a line from the old animated MTV series Daria, which is focused on Daria Morgendorffer, a smart, acerbic, and somewhat misanthropic teenage girl who observes the world around her. Chloe is even drawn in a cool little Daria style next to it.
- There is a blue Awareness ribbon on the photo album in Alternate Chloe’s room. Among its meanings is ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome), a medical condition that may be caused by trauma. (See for all meanings).
- The closest font to Chloe's 'Hole To Another Universe' graffiti is the India font available for free download for personal use only at http://www.dafont.com/india.font.
Life is Strange Edit
Before the Storm Edit
- ↑ There is a writing on her wall that says, "EVERYBODY LIES NO EXCEPTIONS".
- ↑ There are anti-depressants (Fluoxetine aka. Prozac 10mg) in the bathroom of the Madsen Household, but it's also possible that they're Joyce's since they are still there in the alternative timeline.
- ↑ A postcard in Chloe's room written by Rachel on August 24, 2011, reveals that they've been close friends for at least two years.
- ↑ This can be figured out beforehand by searching the drawers in Chloe's garage, and finding David's ID cards and Blackwell Security card.
- ↑ This could be a reference to revealing everyone's secrets in the town; glass is transparent.
- ↑ She's also looking after the Tobanga Totem. She finds out that it's perhaps Arcadia Bay's oldest totem and that no tribe has claimed ownership of the Tobanga. Plus, Chloe likes to say "Tobanga".
- ↑ Chloe's handicap is foreshadowed during the previous episodes. Chloe parks two times on a handicapped parking spot and later even steals money for the Blackwell's Handicapped Fund.
- ↑ Next to the one of the doe, there are also...
- ↑ Color symbolism is important here, as her hair clip which was always previously blue (symbolizing hope for the future) is now a dull pink.
- ↑ In contrast to the original timelime where Max has to convince Chloe that all that matters is that she's still there in Acadia Bay, alive and together with her friend ("You don't want to hear this, but you're still here. Alive. With me."), the alternative Chloe says herself, "At least I'm here alive with you."
- ↑ This is a sad contradiction of her compliments about Max's powers. Chloe fondly refers to her as "SuperMax" outside this alternative timeline.
- ↑ This was confirmed by the developers on Twitter.
- ↑ "Everybody cares until they don't."
- ↑ There is a graffiti above Chloe's bed that says, "I CAN'T SLEEP".
- ↑ There is a crumpled-up note you can find in Chloe's secret hideout in the junkyard which says, "I WANT TO DIE". There also is a piece of graffiti on the Blackwell fountain in Chloe's hand writing which says, "Please go ahead and kill me."
- ↑ See here to find out more about the symptoms of BPD: http://psychcentral.com/disorders/borderline-personality-disorder-symptoms/
- ↑ Click here to listen to the audio
- ↑ Blackwell documents in both Chloe's and Alternative Chloe's rooms dated 2010 reveal that Chloe attended Blackwell Academy at least since then.
- ↑ Two Whales Diner scene in Episode 2: Out of Time
- ↑ Episode 3: Chaos Theory
- ↑ Episode 3: Chaos Theory
- ↑ Screenshot from "Chaos Theory"
- ↑ This is evident from a letter from Principal Wells findable in Alternative Chloe's room, written in August 2011, in which he suggests that it would be better regarding her handicap to attend another school.
- ↑ Discovered from Chloe's Report Card in her garage bedroom.
- ↑ For more information on the Ouroboros see here: http://www.tokenrock.com/explain-ouroboros-70.html
- ↑ In the Director's Commentary, it has been said that there is a lot of symbolism behind the butterfly and the fact that Chloe has got some butterflies on her tattoo. Chloe's hair color was confirmed to be based on the blue butterfly.
- ↑ Twitter post with Michel Koch's confirmation
- ↑ During the meeting on the Main Campus in episode 3, if you choose "Don't joke" from the three options, Chloe will say: "Max, I'm not laughing at you. My old counselor told me that my sarcasm was a way of "avoidance." That's why he's my ex-counselor."
- ↑ Discussion: http://www.igcd.net/vehicle.php?id=70531