"You can never escape the lighthouse here..."
|Location:||Outskirts of Arcadia Bay|
|Appears in:||Episode 1: Chrysalis|
Episode 2: Out of Time (cutscene)
Episode 5: Polarized
The Lighthouse is located in the forested outskirts of Arcadia Bay. For locals who want to go to the lighthouse they must follow an uphill pathway in the forest which ends up by the ocean cliff. The lighthouse is the first featured location in Life Is Strange, and a recurring motif throughout the game.
Visitors and guests at the lighthouse are encouraged to leave the wildlife in the area alone, as per the sign on the trail. Max confirms it's been there a long time.
The Lighthouse is the first location the player gets to know, as Max's storm filled vision shows us the tornado heading straight for Arcadia Bay. The lighthouse itself is destroyed as a fishing boat rams into the middle of it, splitting it in two.
After Max wakes from this vision in Mr. Jefferson's classroom and is able to walk around the classroom, there is an option to look at a photo of the lighthouse, to which Max responds "You can never escape the lighthouse here."
We revisit the lighthouse at the end of the episode. Max can take an optional photo if she turns back on the pathway, and another one of Chloe.
The lighthouse is clearly a popular spot for young people to hang out, due to the copious amounts of litter, vandalism and alcoholic beverage bottles surrounding the campfire pit at the top of the hill. It seems that Chloe still hangs around there, due to the graffiti similar to that in her room on the rocks by the campfire.
Behind one of the maintenance sheds, there are "wind glyphs" written on the side of the wall. Max comments that they remind her of the wind, but in truth they are related to Alain Damasio - the Dontnod co-founder's novel, La Horde du Contrevent, or The WindWalkers has characters represented by these symbols.
There is a haiku written on a stump near the end of the lighthouse pathway, which reads:
Turn this way now or
Face the lonely autumn tree
And never look back
This could be a foreshadowing of events to come in the game.
Episode Two - "Out of Time" Edit
During the cutscene at the end of Episode Two, Chloe appears by the Lighthouse, sitting on the same bench as in Episode One.
During the nightmare sequence, the photo of the lighthouse in Jefferson's class can be viewed, but changes as the top half of the lighthouse is torn off, presumably by the storm.
Later in the episode, after Max is through the Nightmare sequence, Max and Chloe are at the lighthouse and a safe distance away from the storm. Max and Chloe share a conversation on the cliff before Chloe makes Max decide whether to save Arcadia Bay or to save Chloe.
If Max decides to sacrifice Arcadia Bay, she and Chloe will stand atop the cliff and hold hands as they look on at the storm destroying Arcadia Bay. Max will be unable to watch what she has caused to happen and will rest her head on Chloe's shoulder to cry.
If Max chooses to save Arcadia Bay, rewinds and this time lets Chloe die in the Blackwell girls' bathroom, she will later stand in front of the lighthouse before she heads for the cemetery to attend Chloe's funeral.
During the first episode, Max has several objects to interact with near the lighthouse.
- Hover over the text to see Max's comments.
- She can look at a rusted fence."That old fence is part of the landscape now. The path behind it leads to the parking lot..."
- She can look at a beer bottle."People can be such pigs."
- She can look at a notice about wildlife."They haven't updated this sign since the 1980's..."
- She can look at a sign pointing to the lighthouse."I feel like I'm in my nightmare again..."
- She can look at and take an optional photo of the Blue Jay (available only if she saved it at Chloe's house earlier).
Photo: "I got you!"Look: "Oh, this will be a great nature shot! Stay still, birdie..."
- She can look at a haiku written on a stump."A tree haiku? How pretty..."
- She can look at a "Max and Chloe BFF Pirates 2008" carving."Oh my God! I forgot all about this! Too bad I can't rewind that far back..."
- She can look at a map of Arcadia Bay with Max and Chloe's tree fort marked on it.
be able to find each other in case of emergency... Oh...""Wowser, Chloe drew that to mark our treefort... So we'd always
- She can look at a Bigfoot graffiti."Clearly, the Bigfoots are everywhere."
- She can look at several footprints."Those sure aren't bigfeet... What kind of animal left those prints?"
- She can look at the "wind glyphs" graffiti."Weird, those glyphs remind me of... the wind."
- She can look at the lighthouse door."Too bad it's locked... I remember racing up and down the steps..."
- She can look at a "Trust No One" graffiti."How long has that been here?"
- She can look at a campfire."Looks like the youth of Arcadia Bay still come up here to party. I never made it..."
- She can look at, speak to and take an optional photo of Chloe.
Blamed Chloe: "She looks really pissed. I should not have denounced her earlier..."Took the blame: "This would be a nice photo of Chloe framed by the sun..."
- During her second vision, Max can read an issue of The Independent.
The lighthouse is known as a symbol of safety and security, and of guidance. It could be that the building watches over Arcadia Bay, and is a symbol of guidance letting Max know about the oncoming disaster of the tornado. In episode five, it became apparent that the lighthouse was actually the only safe place for Max and Chloe during the storm.
The lighthouse may be there to remind Max where she was before, and the light to show her of what is coming, a warning of the impending danger.
Another important observation is that the terms "Lighthouse" and "Dark Room", both important locations and very central motives throughout the game, are direct negations of one another.
Life is Strange Locations
|Arcadia Bay · American Rust Junkyard (Hideout) · Cemetery · Chloe's Truck · Police Department · Beach · Blackwell Academy · Frank's RV · Gas Station · Hospital · Lighthouse · Madsen Household (Bedroom · Chloe's Room · Garage) · Pan Estates · Prescott Barn (Dark Room) · Prescott Estate · Two Whales Diner · Up All Nite Donuts|
|Hallway · Custodial Room · Main Campus · Parking Lot · Photography Lab · Prescott Dormitory · Principal Wells' Office · Science Lab · Swimming Pool|
|Max's Room · Dana's Room · Kate's Room · Victoria's Room · Nathan's Room|
|Alternative Beach · Alternative Price Household · Bean Hip Cafe · Plane · Zeitgeist Gallery|