Michel Koch is a French freelance illustrator and concept artist currently working as DONTNOD Entertainment's art and game director (since 2008). Next to his work on DONTNOD's first game, Remember Me, he was significantly involved in the development of Life is Strange as Concept Artist, Artistic Director, Co-Game Director and additional Writer.
- Michel Koch currently lives in Paris.
- He went to Supcréa, Grenoble, and studied at Ecole Emile Cohl, Lyon, in France.
- The name "Michel" is pronounced how the female name "Michelle" is pronounced in the UK and USA.
- Michel Koch's favorite television show is X-Files.
- He is a big fan of the Twin Peaks series, hence the great influence on Life Is Strange, and he is looking forward to the 2017 reboot of the original series directed by Lynch.
- He is also a big fan of Stephen King's works. There are several references to Stephen King throughout Life Is Strange.
- He is also a fan of the True Detective TV series. There is a reference to it on David Madsen's car license plate.
- On July 27, 2015, Michel Koch put a rainbow filter on his profile picture to celebrate the decision of the U.S. Supreme Court to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide.
- Michel Koch played and praised the choice-based game Until Dawn saying, "it was a great ride from the beginning to the end, can't wait to replay it!"
- He also played Firewatch, praising it with the words "such a great job on the writing, voices and art."
- After the revelation of Tracer from the game Overwatch being in a relationship with another woman in December 2016, Michel Koch asked for Tracer and Max Caulfield fanart and OverwatchxLifeIsStrange crossovers on Twitter.
- After the release of Episode 4: Dark Room, Michel Koch posted on Twitter, "Today I have a small glimpse of how good GRR Martin must feel everyday!", sarcastically referring to the importance of death in this episode.
- Michel Koch revealed in an interview that they wrote Episode 1: Chrysalis, with the intention of introducing the typical high school stereotypes, before building upon them and subverting them with every episode. "When we started to create every character, we really wanted to use known archetypes that people see in teenage drama and in movies."
- He also revealed the intention behind the scene of Warren Graham beating up Nathan Prescott. "If you choose not to step in on the fight with Nathan, we start to see something a little different, a darker side of Warren. It's very violent and gets a bit out of control. It shows us that, even if we're good characters, we all have a side of us that can go out of control. Everyone has shades of grey, bits of darkness."
- Michel Koch stated that Max and Chloe is the ultimate pairing during a twitch livestream with Luc Baghadoust. When interviewers asked about romance (i.e. Max and Chloe's relationship), he replied: "Chloe et Max ne marchent qu'ensemble", which means they "only walked together" (as also in romantically attached to each other) as in they are a great pair and can only function with each other. He also called Chloe an antagonist and her being the opposite of Max and how it's the reason their pairing worked.
- Michel posted some really early character concept art on Facebook.
- Masterclass de Michel Koch (December 13, 2016)
- Gamecreator TV: Life is Strange - Michel Koch and Jean-Luc Cano Interview (April 28, 2016)
- INTERVIEW: MICHEL KOCH & LUC BAGHADOUST OF LIFE IS STRANGE (April 4, 2016)
- Directors Commentary - revisiting Life is Strange with its creators (January 24, 2016)
- "Max and Chloe's story is done": Life is Strange devs talk the future, success, and the importance of diversity (January 22, 2016)
- Life Is Strange Spoilercast - Kinda Funny Gamescast Special (January 22, 2016)
- Life is Strange co-director discusses the game's endings, production, and answers Chatty questions (January 22, 2016)
- Life is strange - BiTS - ARTE (August 27, 2015)
- First Love and Awkwardness: Inside the Mind of ‘Life Is Strange’ Co-Director Michel Koch (August 4, 2015)
- Rewind power in Life is Strange is "a great story telling tool" (August 21, 2014)
- Life is Strange - Michel Koch Gamescom 2014 Interview (August 21, 2014)
- Life is Strange- Michel Koch & Luc Baghadoust (February 1st, 2016)
External Links Edit
- ↑ See here to look at the numerous works that influenced Life Is Strange, including the Twin Peaks series.
- ↑ Article on Twin Peaks Reboot: http://deadline.com/2016/01/twin-peaks-update-premiere-date-early-2017-david-lynch-1201681533/
- ↑ See here to view the post on Twitter.
- ↑ See here to view the post on Twitter.
- ↑ See here to view Michel Koch's post on Twitter.