Texting is one of several important gameplay elements throughout the story. True to the lives of most modern teenagers, Life is Strange includes insights into the protagonists' cellphones.
The player can (re)-view Max Caulfield's text messages in Life is Strange and Chloe Price's text messages in Before the Storm to get a better context on characters and objectives in the games. In Life is Strange, some messages were sent or received before the period of the main timeline or alternative timeline. Max keeps in contact with her parents, many Blackwell students and sometimes receives texts from unknown numbers.
- Main article: Objectives
(Still incomplete. Please help elaborating this section.)
Life is Strange Edit
- Returning Warren Graham's Flash-Drive - Warren texts Max to retrieve his Flash-Drive and says he's waiting for her at the Blackwell Parking Lot.
Episode Two - "Out of Time" Edit
- Getting to the Two Whales Diner - Chloe Price wants Max to meet her at the diner to discuss Max's power.
Episode Three - "Chaos Theory" Edit
- Getting on the main campus to meet Chloe - Chloe wants Max to meet on the main campus in front of the Blackwell Academy.
- Entering Principal Wells' office - Max asks Warren for a way to open the locked door to Principal Wells' office; he texts Max the ingredients for a pipe bomb to open the door.
- Entering Nathan Prescott's dorm room - Kate Marsh texts Max his room number if you had looked at her "Get well soon" card and mentioned Nathan when talking to her in the hospital.
- Max asks Warren for the photo - Max asks Warren if he still has the photo from the End of the World Party to jump back in time and save Chloe.
Before the Storm Edit
- Main article: Max's Messages
- In Episode 5, "Polarized", the player uses Max's texting feature actively for the first time to send a text message to David Madsen.
- Max only speaks to another person using her phone three or four times, depending on the player's choice to answer Kate's call in "Out of Time". The other times being: Max calling Warren to ask for instructions for the pipe bomb in "Chaos Theory", calling Chloe from the Zeitgeist Gallery after hearing her voice and calling Warren to ask for his photo (both in "Polarized").
- During Max's nightmare in Episode 5, Max receives several strange and disturbing text messages from characters including William Price, Rachel Amber, Samuel Taylor and Pompidou.